Shopify SEO: Learn how to optimize your Shopify store for better rankings in Google as well as increased conversions for your Shopify business.
As a Shopify store owner, you know that ranking well in Google is essential to success. But how to optimize your Shopify store? After all, organic traffic is the lifeblood of most e-commerce businesses.
But what exactly do you need to do to ensure your Shopify website gets optimized for SEO in 2023?
In this post, we’ll share with you six actionable tips that will help you optimize your Shopify store for higher Google rankings.
But before we dive in, let’s first take a look at why SEO is so important for Shopify stores.
What is Shopify SEO?
You may have heard the term “SEO” before, but what does it mean? SEO stands for “Search Engine Optimization” and is a technique that can get used to improve the ranking of your website in search engine results pages (SERPs).
When you rank higher in SERPs, you will get more traffic to your site, which means increasing in sales and revenue.
Shopify SEO is a particular type of SEO that is specifically designed for online stores. It involves optimizing your shop’s title tags, meta descriptions, product pages, and other elements to make them as search engine friendly as possible.
By doing this, you can improve your chances of ranking high in the search results for relevant keywords.
While Shopify SEO can be a bit complex, there are plenty of resources available that can help you get started.
Read this guide to optimize or improve SEO on the Shopify store.
Importance of Shopify SEO for Store Optimization:
As an online business owner, it is essential to understand the importance of Shopify SEO. When you optimize your Shopify store or improve SEO on your Shopify store for search engines, you can attract more visitors and increase sales.
1. Increased traffic: The number one benefit of good Shopify SEO is increased traffic to your store. When you optimize your website and ensure it appears high on search engine results pages (SERPs), you will attract more visitors who are looking for information about the products you sell.
2. Increase Conversion Rates: A high volume of traffic doesn’t mean anything if those visitors don’t buy anything from your store. When you optimize your Shopify store, it will help you achieve increase conversion rates, meaning more of those visitors will end up buying something from you.
3. Improve ROI: Investing time and money into good Shopify SEO is a smart way to get a higher return on investment (ROI). By optimizing your website and increasing traffic levels, you can see a significant increase in sales and profits that far outweighs the cost of implementing effective SEO tactics.
4. Improved Brand Awareness: One of the long-term benefits you enjoy, when you improve SEO on Shopify stores, gets improved brand awareness among potential customers. As your store becomes better known and ranks higher in SERPs, more people will learn about your products and services – which could lead to more sales down the road!
5. Better Customer Retention: Finally, good Shopify SEO can help improve customer retention rates by giving them a positive web experience that keeps them coming back to your store again and again.
Strategies for Optimizing your Shopify Store for SEO:
Step 1: Choosing Target Keywords:
Keywords are an essential part of SEO because they help Google and other search engines understand what your website is all about.
When people type specific keywords into a search engine, they are more likely to find your site if you optimize your Shopify store for those keywords.
Choosing the right keywords can make a big difference in terms of website traffic and ROI.
There are several methods you can use to find the right keywords to optimize your Shopify store.
Some of the most popular methods include:
- Competitor Keywords Analysis
- Longtail Keywords Research
- Google Keyword Planner
Use SEO Keywords tools like:
Let’s take an overview of this keywords tools:
Ubbersuggest is one of the best keyword tool by Neil Patel. He is a New York Times Bestselling author. The Wall Street Journal calls him a top influencer on the web, Forbes says he is one of the top 10 marketers, and Entrepreneur Magazine says he created one of the 100 most brilliant companies.
He was recognized as a top 100 entrepreneur under the age of 30 by President Obama and a top 100 entrepreneur under the age of 35 by the United Nations.
- Uncover millions of national & local keywords.
- Analyze any domain’s backlink profile.
- Run technical SEO audits.
- Track your SERP positions daily.
Ahrefs is an All in one SEO toolset for the user. Everything you need to rank higher & get more traffic.
With this tool, you will get access to Ahrefs Insider, our private Facebook community, where you can bounce ideas and questions off 10,000 SEO-obsessed marketers who have seen it all.
Also Read: Importance of E-commerce Website
How To Choose The Right Keywords?
There are a few things you need to consider when choosing the right keywords to optimize your Shopify store:
1. Your Business Niche: What are you selling? Who is your target audience? Narrowing down your focus will help you brainstorm relevant keywords that potential customers may use when searching for products or services like yours online.
2. The Competition: There are numerous free tools online that can help you determine how competitive certain keywords are. It’s important to choose keywords that have low competition but high monthly searches so that you have a better chance of ranking higher on SERPs (search engine results pages).
3. Your Content Strategy: Once you’ve selected some killer keyword targets. It’s time to start incorporating them into your website content! But beware – adding too many keywords can hurt your ranking rather than help it.
A good rule of thumb is to include 1% to 1.5% of the total word count as target keywords throughout each page of your site. This varies depending on the competitiveness and popularity of the keyword phrases you select.
Once you have chosen the right keywords for your Shopify website, it’s essential to take active steps toward optimizing them correctly! This includes using them throughout various elements on your website such as titles, metatags, descriptions, etc.
Also Read: Best Shopify Apps For Your E-commerce Store
Step 2: Right Shopify Store Structure:
Now that you have a basic understanding of keywords, it’s time to focus on the site structure. A well-structured shop will make it easier for both users and search engines to find what they are looking for.
Here are a few tips on setting up your shop correctly:
1. Choose the Right Template: The first step in achieving optimal SEO performance is choosing the correct template for your shop.
There are many templates to choose from, so make sure you pick one that gets designed specifically for e-commerce stores.
It is also important to select a mobile-friendly template, as more and more people are shopping online using their phones and tablets.
2. Create a Well-Designed Homepage: Your homepage is the most important page on your website, as it is the first thing visitors see when they land on your site.
Make sure you design it in a way that encourages them to explore your store further. Your homepage should include clear product images, an easy-to-use navigation bar, and brief descriptions of your products/services.
3. Use Good Navigation: A well-designed navigation bar helps customers find what they are looking for quickly and easily. Make sure yours includes all of the pages they might need, such as “About Us”, “Products”, and “Contact Us”. You can also add dropdown menus for categories and subcategories if needed.
4. Optimize Product Pages: Product pages are another very important part of your website optimization process. These pages should include high-quality images of each product, detailed descriptions, sizing information, shipping information, and any other relevant details.
You should also use keyword-rich titles and meta tags to help improve your ranking in search engine results pages (SERPs).
5. Publish Regular Blog Posts: One of the best ways to improve your SEO performance is by publishing regular blog posts.
These posts can be about anything related to your business – new products/services, industry news, customer stories, etc.
Not only will this help improve your ranking in SERPs, but it will also give potential customers valuable information about your company and what you offer.
Step 3: Right Linking Practices:
To optimize your Shopify store in 2023, it is important to follow some key linking practices. Here, we will explore the right way to link your website content together to improve your ranking on search engines.
- The Importance of Linking: Linking is an essential part of SEO. It plays a role in how your website gets ranked by search engines. When you link your Shopify website content together, it helps Google and other search engines index your pages better. It, in turn, can help improve your ranking on those search engines and increase traffic to your site.
- The Right Way To Link: There are several ways you can link your web pages together correctly. Some of the most effective methods include:
1. Anchor Text: The use of anchor text is one of the most effective ways to link pages together. You should use keyword-rich anchor text that accurately describes the page being linked to.
For example: If you are linking to a product page, you could use the anchor text “click here for more information”.
Be sure not to overuse anchor text though as this can be penalized by Google.
2. Internal Links: Another effective way to link pages together is through internal links. This involves linking different pages on your website together using keyword-rich anchor text. This helps keep users engaged with your website and allows them to navigate between different pages easily.
3. External Links: External links are another valuable part to consider when you optimize your Shopify store and should be used sparingly.
External links allow you to reference other websites from within your content which can help boost its authority. However, too many external links can hurt your SEO efforts so be sure not to overdo it.
Step 4: Right Content Marketing Practices:
Now that you have the Shopify basics in place, it’s time to focus on your website content. Content is one of the most important aspects to consider when you optimize your Shopify store, and if done correctly, can help improve your website ranking over time.
Here are a few tips for creating effective content marketing practices:
1. High-Quality Content: Make sure all of your content is high quality and relevant to your audience. This means writing helpful articles, providing valuable information, and using engaging visuals whenever possible.
2. Always use keywords throughout your content: These are words or phrases that people might use when searching for information online. By including them in your articles, you make it easier for search engines to find and rank your website.
3. Keep your content updated regularly: The more fresh content you have on your site, the better it will be ranked by search engines. This means publishing new blog posts, updating product pages, and adding news stories as often as possible.
4. Use social media to promote your content widely: Platforms like Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and Twitter allow you to share links to your articles with a wider audience quickly and easily. You can also use relevant hashtags (#) from your blog to help increase post visibility.
Step 5: Improving User Experience:
User experience is a crucial factor when it comes to SEO. If your website is not easy to use or navigate, people are unlikely to stick around long enough to browse through your products or services.
To improve user experience, you need to make sure that your website is:
1. Easy to Navigate: Your site should be easy to navigate, with clear menus and links that lead users where they want to go. The layout should also be intuitive so that people can find what they are looking for without having to search too hard.
2. Responsive: A responsive design ensures that your website looks good on all devices, from desktop computers to smartphones and tablets. All website dimensions must be mobile-friendly, including fonts, images, and buttons.
3. Fast Loading: A slow-loading website can frustrate users and cause them to leave before they have a chance to explore what you have to offer.
Make sure that your pages load quickly so that visitors do not have time to get bored or frustrated. You can ensure that your store loads quickly by utilizing apps like Check Store Speed.
This is the best alternative to check your whole site with page speed https://www.experte.com/pagespeed. Just add your root URL in this tool and get all page’s speed reports. The tool is free and can be used without registration.
By following these tips, you can improve user experience on your Shopify website and boost your SEO efforts at the same time!
Step 6: Right Shopify SEO Apps and Tools:
When it comes to SEO, there are a lot of things you can do to optimize your Shopify store for search engines. But with so many different SEO apps and tools available, it can be hard to know where to start.
That’s why we’ve put together a list of the best SEO apps and tools for Shopify stores. Whether you’re looking to optimize your Shopify store for better search engine rankings or you want to track your SEO progress, these apps and tools will help you get the job done.
AVADA SEO Suite is the most featured SEO app to help you outrank your competitors in search results.
- Improve website loading speed.
- Faster Google index of the website content and images.
- Image Optimization.
- Google Structured Data/Google Snippets.
- 24/7 Live Chat Support.
- Redirect 404 Page.
- Free: Free to Install.
- Pro: $29 Per Month.
This app will ensure that you are set for on-page SEO success which is a key element. When it comes to technical SEO, this app constantly monitors and optimizes your Shopify store to make sure you’re following Google’s best practices.
- Optimize Organic Traffic.
- Bulk Optimize and compress your store images.
- Optimized image ALT tags.
- Receive weekly SEO Health Reports
- Automatically Redirect Broken Links.
- AutoPilot feature to fix SEO issues.
- Free: Free to Install.
- Pro: $34 Per Month.
- Premium: $64 Per Month.
SEO Booster is built for a long-term relationship with you. Each SEO plan is tailored to the size of your business and the way it grows: a free plan with a set of values to get started is available forever.
- Auto Compress Images of the Store.
- Control 404 Links with the auto fix.
- Improve Loading Speed of Mobile Pages.
- Mobile-Friendly Experience.
- Auto SEO issues scan and suggestions
- Full JSON-LD: Hot and all free
- Free: Free to Install.
- Pro: $39 Per Month.
- Unlimited: $79 Per Month.
Yoast SEO makes doing SEO for your online store easy for everyone. It makes sure your online store meets the highest technical SEO standards, without you having to do a thing. And it guides you in making your product pages and blogs findable and easy to read.
- Optimize your Content
- Generate rich structured data/schema.org output.
- Google and Social Preview.
- Easily Optimize your Metadata.
- Yoast SEO: $19 Per Month.
AVADA Marketing Automation – Follow and convert your customers via omnichannel: email marketing, SMS, push notifications, and WhatsApp.
- 100+ Email Templates for any season.
- Easy lead Capture with popup, spin to win.
- Track abandoned carts in Real Time.
- Proven email workflow that is ready to use.
- Various automation triggers
- Mobile Responsive
- SMS Conversion.
- Free: Free to Install.
6. Upsell and Cross-sell your Products
To increase conversion rate of your store, you can implement cross-selling and upselling techniques. It means offering your customers additional products on top of what they’ve added to their cart or offering them an upgraded version of the added product. You can upsell not only products from your catalog but also services: extended warranties, gift packaging, etc.
Shopify apps can help you automate this process. The Candy Rack app includes a number of predefined templates for upselling. After you choose one, you can customize the look and feel of your upsell pop-up: modify colors, buttons, wordings, etc.
You set what products to cross-sell and under what conditions, or you can let the AI algorithm do the job for you and automatically select the most suitable cross-sell.
As you can see, there are a few steps you need to take to optimize your Shopify store. By following these steps, you can ensure that your website is visible to potential customers and that you are providing them with the information they need to make a purchase.
If you have any questions, feel free to leave them in the comments.